The Art, Science, and Craft of Great Landscape Photography
- The Art, Science, and Craft of Great Landscape Photography is intended for those who already understand the basics of photography and who are ready to master the finer nuances of creating magnificent landscape photographs.
The Art, Science, and Craft of Great Landscape Photography teaches photographers how to convert their visual peak experiences-moments of extraordinary natural beauty that evoke a sense of wonder and awe-into stunning images that elicit the same awestruck emotion in their viewers. Randall is an experienced wilderness photographer, and whether you want to venture into the mountains for once-in-a-lifetime shots of raw nature, or simply hone your landscape photography skills from the safety of your back deck, Randall explains the art, science and craft of creating astounding images. Randall begins by focusing on the art of landscape photography. He describes his three-step process for composing a photograph and shows how good composition is an organic process that begins with rules but ultimately transcends them. Randall then explores the science behind successful landscape photographs, which requires understanding key concepts from geography, optics, vision, and psychology. These concepts include:
- Understanding how the position of the sun at sunrise and sunset varies throughout the year, which will help you plan when and where to shoot.
- Understanding optics to predict where rainbows will appear, how polarizers will interact with reflections, and where to find spectacular light.
- Understanding how to use topographic maps and computerized mapping tools to help you find the most promising shooting locations in the wilderness.
- Understanding how our visual system analyzes images and the psychology of how we view art. These insights will help you produce successful photographs.